A Church is a group of people gathering together to interact with God. In this article, we will share some amazing things that you probably didn’t know about churches worldwide.
- The average age of a Church member is 52 years old.
- A new Church starts every 20 minutes somewhere in the world.
- There are about 500,000 churches in America alone!
- The United States is home to 20 percent of the world’s churches.
- There are more than a billion Christians around the globe!
- 60% of church members have been in their current Church for over ten years, and only 12% have ever changed churches during that time period.
- The oldest Church is in Jerusalem. It has been around since 33 A.D!
- Since 1517, there have always been Protestant churches of some kind in the United States.
- There are over 30,000 different denominations worldwide that each considers themselves ‘true’ Christians and hold to differing doctrines on many important points of faith.
- It is estimated that at least one-third of church attendees will not be there on any given Sunday.
- A recent study found that the average American Christian has a 50% chance of leaving their current Church by 2020, and if they don’t leave, some churches lose as much as 80% of their members every year!
Historical Facts About Churches
- The first official state Church was in Armenia around 300 A.D., although the Roman Empire had established Christian churches earlier than this.
- Unitarianism is a branch of Protestant Christianity that rejects practices like confession or communion but still believes in Christ as God’s son.
- The Vatican, an independent country within Rome, is home to hundreds of priests and nuns who serve in the Church’s bureaucracy as well as its museums. It also has its own post office that employs 40 people.
- 80 percent of Americans identify with Christianity making this religion by far America’s largest faith group, according to an August 2014 Pew Research Center study.
- But despite being very different denominations (Catholic vs Baptists), all Christians in America use grape juice to represent the blood of Jesus during communion.
As you can see, Church has come a long way. However, it is still growing to this day. So if you are thinking about attending or would like more information, feel free to contact me! I hope you enjoyed my article and learned something new about one of the most important religions in history and today.